They have a good size pond full of alligators varying from about 2 feet long to this monster (one closest to the bottom of the picture). It's name is Domino, its almost 17 feet long, weighs about 700 lbs and is 40 years old. One look at him and I felt WAAAYYY better about turning 40. In comparison, I'm lookin pretty good. I'm feelin slim and smooth! However, not sure that an alligator should be my mark of camparison? Anyway. We got to see a feeding time which was intersting...it involved a large bucket of chicken pieces (bone and all) and dozens of writhing reptiles. The man feeding them would pet their snouts with one hand while waving chicken parts around with the other. He was also missing a thumb. He told us Domino got it several years ago. However, he was also quick to point out a large alligator tooth he had hanging around his neck...from Domino. Guess a thumb for a tooth is considered a good exchange in the alligator business?
The suprising part of the alligator farm was that they had a wide variety and numbers of animals all over the place. It was better than many zoos I've been too. The people working there kept getting animals out of the cages for us to pet. Racoons (Matthew's favorite), baby alligators, ferrets, bizarre lizards and several variety of snakes including this lovely one...NOT Matthew's favorite. I pet everything (life on the edge...I'm a wild one), Jordan pet nothing, and Matthew would poke everything and then run.
They even had a little petting zoo type area with all kinds of tame wildlife including deer. Jordan thought this was pretty cool...although I don't think she ever touched one.
It was a hot day and Matthew discovered the mist fans. I think he'd like us to install one of these in his room.
He also found a boat that he was actually encouraged to drive...does life get any better?
I'm happy to say that I tried something new and liked it...we will definitely be going back again. If nothing else, I want to see if the man who feeds the alligators keeps all 9 fingers!
thats what happens when you pet an alligator...you lose fingers...or a whole limb lol. I didn't know there was such a thing down there!
ReplyDelete