
Anyone remember the cartoon character Maxine? She's old, cranky and got an attitude...I'm feeling like Maxine today. Two weeks ago I turned 40. One week ago I had a run in with the couch and broke my toe (the couch is totally at fault). This week I had an altercation with a chair and cracked a rib or two...ouch. Seriously ouch! I was hanging a hummingbird feeder outside and rather than get something stable to stand on, I chose a rocking chair. In hind site, not a great choice.
I was doing fine until the syrup from the feeder started trickling down my arm. I forgot about my precarious footing and moved a little too quickly. Next thing I knew I was on the ground with a searing pain in my gut and no ability to breathe. I assumed I just knocked the air out of myself (sadly, a familiar feeling as I do it often) and as I was gasping for air, my more immediate concern was that the concrete I was laying on was HOT...images of a frying egg came to mind...and I was the egg. Over easy. So...still gasping, I hoisted myself to a crawling position and started the eternal crawl towards the back door and shade. My hands and knees roasting with each contact on the concrete. But the best part...Jordan was right beside me. Walking next to me bent over so her head was right next to mine. She was saying, "That wasn't very smart mom. You need to be more safe. You shouldn't stand on a chair like that. You need to think through your decisions before hand so you don't get hurt. Just not safe!" Thanks for that.
Now I'm living each day on Ibuprofen but in the process I've learned that I no longer have the catlike reflexes that allow me to stand on rocking chairs without harm. I've learned I need to be wary because the furniture in our house is out to get me. Each day is an adventure in outwitting the furniture...so far I'm loosing. I've also learned that when Jordan (or Matthew) gets hurt, I need to focus on nurturing and save the lecture for later...even though my lecture is totally right on!
You have no idea how happy I am to see you here! I've loved your writings and missed them.
ReplyDeleteAs for the fall, I can relate as I polished my chairs one day and then proceeded to stand on one to reach something. Not good! I bruised a bone in my leg and two years later it still hurts. I reaped what I sowed for sure. Not smart!
Hooray- you have a new blog!
ReplyDeleteAs for falling, I can relate. I spent the afternoon at the doctor complaining about pain in my knees.
Yay, so glad to see you blogging again! :)
ReplyDeleteWow! I started feeling aches and pains just reading about yours! Love it how Jordan is so practical . . . too cute! : )
ReplyDeleteLove the new site and new name. I'm sorry I had a few chuckles at your expense mostly because I do the very same things...I am winning the furniture fight so far but will proceed more causiously after this post. :)
ReplyDeleteI can totally relate about furniture being out to get you. I have broken my toe pretty much the same way. I love how practical Jordan is LOL. Maybe you need to put more calcium in your diet so you stop breaking things? or just avoid doing things like standing on rocking chairs lol.
ReplyDelete